When attempting to view presentations in your online course, you may see a blank or empty white screen. This can often happen if the presentations are in Adobe Presenter file formats, and is caused by non-Adobe products attempting to open the presentation – both the Firefox and Chrome browsers have a built-in PDF preview feature which is not compatible with Adobe Presenter presentations. To view Adobe Presenter presentations, settings in both Firefox and Chrome need to be changed so that Adobe Reader is used to view PDF documents. Below are the instructions for the necessary settings changes. Adobe Reader needs to be installed. It is highly recommended to make sure that your Adobe Reader is up-to-date.
Once there, uncheck the free software being offered (i.e. Google Chrome, Google Toolbar, McAfee Security Scan Plus, Lightroom 5) as these software applications are optional:
Click on ‘Install now’.
Mozilla Firefox Instructions:
For Windows computers:
- Press and hold the ‘ALT’ key on your keyboard and ‘T’ to view the Tools menu of Firefox (ALT + T)
- Click on ‘Options’
For Mac computers:
- Click on the ‘Firefox’ menu in the upper left corner of the screen
- Click on ‘Preferences’
- In the ‘Options/Preferences’ window, click on the ‘Applications’ tab
- Scroll down the ‘Applications’ list and locate the Content Type, ‘Portable Document Format (PDF)’
- Change the Action for ‘Portable Document Format (PDF)’ to:
- For Windows computers –> ‘Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)’
- For Mac Computers ——> “Use Adobe Reader (default)’
- Click ‘OK’ to close the ‘Options’ window
Google Chrome Instructions:
- Open Google Chrome
- Enter ‘about:plugins’ in address bar, then press ‘Enter’
- Locate the ‘Chrome PDF Viewer’ in the list of Plug-ins
- Click ‘Disable’ for ‘Chrome PDF Viewer’
With the ‘Chrome PDF Viewer’ disabled, PDF documents will download and then open using the Adobe Reader application. This is the only option for Mac computers, as there is not an Adobe Reader plug-in for Chrome on Mac computers.
If you continue to have an issue with this please contact Technical Support.